Crime Prevention Starts at Home!
The best crime prevention resource we have for you, is YOU! Our philosophy on crime prevention is centered around "community policing." Having cooperation and an understanding between the police department and the community is key in solving and preventing criminal activity. Here are a few tips to protect you from being a victim:
- Lock all windows and doors in your home and vehicles.
- Keep valuables out of your vehicles.
- Consider having a security system installed in and around your home.
- Do not put your flag up on your mailbox as it is a "red flag" for criminals for theft. Consider a locking mailbox or take advantage of your local USPS.
- If you see something, say something! Anything suspicious at all or doesn't feel right, please call 9-1-1. Nothing is too minor. Your phone call could stop criminal activity or lead to an arrest.
Crime victim & prevention resources
- 360 Communities - Your local domestic abuse services and shelters resource.
- Dakota County, MN - Here, you will find a wealth of information and resources from inmate searches, warrants, victim/witness information, orders for protection and much more. Use the search tool to navigate what exactly you are looking for.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - Fraud and Identity Theft cases are one of the most prolific crimes handled. This site is used frequently to source out helpful information and report scams and attempts for federal identification purposes.
- Minnesota Attorney General - The Attorney General is the representative of the public in all legal proceedings for the enforcement of law and the assertion or protection of public rights.
- MN Department of Public Safety (DPS) - This website is best to resource any topic involving public safety.
- MN Judicial Branch Help Guide - Here, you will find a wealth of court-related help topics.
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) - Behind many 9-1-1 calls, there are histories of mental illnesses and substance abuse creating crisis situations. These situations involve criminal activity and affect our family, friends and loved ones. Get help before it's too late.
For a full list of Crime Victim Resources, please scan the QR code.