Each year the city licenses private companies to offer trash and recycling collection services to residents, businesses, multifamily properties, and for events. Every household and business in the city must have a contract for the collection of trash with a licensed garbage hauler or self-haul waste to licensed trash facility. Please select from one of the licensed haulers listed below and set up your service directly with the hauler.
Trash and recycling are collected weekly at the curb from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on the day selected by the hauler.
- Use containers provided by your hauler
- Place containers at the end of your driveway approximately 3 feet behind the curb
- Trash and recycling containers must not be visible from the street or adjoining properties outside of the weekly pickup times.
- Containers may be placed after 6:00 p.m. the night before collection.
- Keep containers in the garage or side yard hidden from the street and adjoining property
View a list of City Licensed Rubbish Haulers (PDF).
Businesses and Multifamily Residential Properties
Dakota County requires all business entities to recycle, and some must also collect food scraps. Business and multifamily property owners and managers are responsible for ensuring collection and hauling services are provided to tenants.
View free city resources for multifamily properties and Dakota County resources for businesses.