The Recycling Zone
The Recycling Zone is a County-run facility located in Eagan where all Dakota County residents and businesses can bring items for recycling. Household chemicals, hazardous waste, scrap metal, and paint are all examples of items that should not be put in the trash. These items can be brought to The Recycling Zone for proper recycling. The Recycling Zone is located at:
3365 Dodd Road (South Highway 149)
Eagan, MN 55121
Household Hazardous Waste, or HHW, is any chemical or product that can cause serious illness or pose an environmental or health threat if improperly stored, transported, or disposed of. When hazardous waste is disposed of in the trash, down the drain, or on the ground, our water and soils can be contaminated or trash collectors can be harmed. Most products labeled dangerous, flammable, poison, combustible and corrosive are considered hazardous waste.
SPECIAL DISPOSAL FOR HHW
- Keep it out of the drains, storm sewers, and off the ground. Chemicals disposed of through these methods can pollute rivers, lakes and aquifers.
- Keep it out of the trash. Hazardous products can cause problems for waste haulers and at waste facilities
- If you can't use up household hazardous chemicals or give them to someone who will, take the items to The Recycling Zone, Dakota County's recycling facility in Eagan, MN. Residents can bring most items to The Recycling Zone for free.
HOW TO REDUCE HAZARDOUS WASTE
- There are some simple ways to reduce Household Hazardous Waste, or HHW, in our homes.
- Read product labels to judge the hazard level and choose products that contain less harmful ingredients. Look for signal words like poison, danger, warning and caution.
- Reduce the number of hazardous cleaning products in your home. Use one general-purpose cleaner for multiple jobs or non-toxic "green" cleaners such as baking soda, lemon juice or vinegar.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides in your yard. Find "how-to" tips on the Dakota County website.
Items Accepted for Recycling
- Household hazardous waste
- Propane tanks
- Auto batteries
- Sharps (in a rigid container, labeled)
Items Not Accepted
- Asbestos-containing materials
- Plastic plant pots
For a complete list of items accepted, visit The Recycling Zone's website, or call952-891-7800
Hours of Operation
- Wednesday: 9 am to 8 pm
- Thursday: Noon to 8 pm
- Friday: 9 am to 5 pm
- Saturday: 8 am to 5 pm
Be prepared to show your ID to verify you live in Dakota County. Please note there is a $10 fee for monitors and televisions.