Dakota County residents can drop off organics such as food scraps and compostable paper products at the organics drop site at Mendakota Park in Mendota Heights. It is a free, convenient, and easy way to manage organics and reduce the amount of trash sent to the landfill.
Step 1: Sign up to Participate
- Sign up online, call 952-891-7557, or email to sign up
- You will receive a welcome kit in the mail with a container label, compostable bags and details on how to recycle your organics, along with an access code if the drop-off location requires this.
Step 2: Place an Organics Recycling Container in a Convenient Location
- Use a container like an ice cream bucket, or purchase a counter top organics container.
- Line container with a paper bag or certified compostable bag. Compostable bags are free at the Dakota County organics drop off location. If using your own bag, check that it has the BPI (Biodegradable Products Institute) logo on the bag or box.
Step 3: Collect Food & Non-Recyclable Paper
Step 4: Bring Bagged Organics to the Drop off Location
- Access the organics recycling enclosure using your access code.
- Place the filled bag in the container marked "organics recycling."
- Take a free compostable bag for next time.